The Kings Arms – a Historic Coaching Inn – Real Pub, Real Ale, Real Food, …and Rooms
Burton-in-Kendal existed before the Domesday book and it retains many of its old street names such as Boon Walks, Neddy Hill and Tanpits Lane. The Kings Arms pub served as a coaching inn to stagecoaches that followed a route through here as early as 1763.
A market began in 1661, and its business grew until Burton-in-Kendal became the second largest corn market in Westmorland. The railroad put paid to its importance. The market cross, constructed of limestone in the 18th century, was a holding spot for lawbreakers who were chained to it with leg irons.
The village’s main street displays a number of Georgian houses. Cocking Yard (a cobbled yard) is lined with 17th and 18th century cottages. Burton House was built in the late 18th century.
The church of St James dates from Norman times, but was restored in the 14th through 16th century in the Perpendicular style and again in 1844 and 1872. The lower part of the west tower is Norman, and the three bay arcades and north chapel are 15th-16th centuries. A window of 1300 sits in the east wall of the vestry. The oak pulpit is Jacobean, pieces of a Saxon cross survive.
Burton still has exellent communications being on the A6070 just off the M6 between Junctions 35 and 36, which means that the Lakes, North Yorks and Furness are only a few minutes away.
There is a wonderful walk around Farleton Knott and its limestone escarpments
Click here for LEP article